Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hitting Bottom in Alcoholism

It was only in desperation and a quite terrible set of circumstances that I became willing to take the simple steps posed by the AA program. They are simple but seem to run against the grain of many an alcoholic. To evaluate ones resentment/anger/fear/sex issues and derive character defects to discuss with another, to make amends to those harmed, to help other alcoholics. These are tall orders for alcoholics and fly in the face of the way of living we have run ourselves into. In the early days of AA it seemed only last gaspers were the ones who became willing as the dying are to hold onto life preservers. I only hope others can see the bottom before it hits. For me it was homelessness, no money and terrible debt; completely disgusted with myself. I couldn’t see it even though the red flags were waving in my face years before. I hope others can see the red flags early on and become humble enough to ask for help (get a good sponsor) and try the steps. It’s the most readily available solution for the problem, simple but sometimes not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment