Sunday, February 16, 2020

Acceptance. Can I accept without Gods help? My experience is no.

This idea of acceptance is good. I found I need Gods help to learn to accept.
The part of the book, that gets talked about a lot in meetings however is not the program, but from one of the stories. So it's been important for me to understand that. Just learning to accept does not make me a recovered alcoholic. I need a spiritual awakening brought about by doing all 12 steps
Acceptance, I found comes as a result of my relationship with God, not ME learning to accept.
If we look at the serenity prayer.. what are we really asking God for?
"Grant me the serenity to accept"
I need Gods serenity to accept things, because I don't have it within me to completely accept life and all that goes on around me and in the world.
I am sober a long time, but I can still catch a resentment or get in fear just like anyone else, but I have God and the program to continue to grow towards God to help me.
So, in prayer and how I live is how God helps me to accept.  there are no shortcuts I have found. There are many tricks I can use to stay sober early on in my sobriety like just not drink one day at a time, don't drink even if my butt falls off and trying to remember to call another alcoholic if I feel like drinking. these are all great ideas. Trying to accept is another one. But ultimately I do not have the POWER to stay sober permanently on my own.. that's why I need the program of AA and that's why I need a Higher Power, because I lack power myself

I am a regular attendee of The Thailand Sobriety Group Online found here. Please visit to attend our daily Zoom meetings:

https://www.aathailand.info


No comments:

Post a Comment