Saturday, June 18, 2016

Questions for me as a long timer.

Recently I've had the pleasure of meeting a like minded AA online as we share common friendships in AA on Facebook. She is writing an article for The Grapevine and asked that I help in answering some questions. Here in this post are the questions and my answers.


1. What does Singleness of purpose mean to you.   

I find that AA's singleness of purpose is outlined in our literature through traditions 3 and 5, especially the long form of tradition 3 which states "Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover." So, in my view it's not really a matter of what it means to me, but that I follow the traditions in an effort to help the fellowship survive. I feel the best I can do is to follow those traditions by how I behave in meetings and what I do to help new alcoholics recover. To me it is both traditions which I should follow to ensure that AA keeps it's one simple purpose;  to help the alcoholic still suffering from alcoholism as defined in the text for our society, the book "Alcoholics Anonymous".  AA's primary purpose is to be kept simple. Over the years I have learned that the more I study AA the more I find out the program of AA is simple. Sometimes it takes courage to carry out the work, but the ideas are simple.  "God does not make to hard a terms for those who seek him"(pg46 AA)


I think Bill W. said it best:


Our first duty, as a society, is to insure our own survival. Therefore we have to avoid distractions and multi-purpose activity. An AA group, as such, cannot take on all the personal problems of its members,  let alone the problems of the whole world.

Sobriety -- freedom from alcohol -- through the teaching and practice of the Twelve Steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group. Groups have repeatedly tried other activities and they have always failed. It has also been learned that there is no possible way to make non-alcoholics into AA members. We have to confine our membership to alcoholics and we have to confine our AA groups to a single purpose.  If we don't stick to these principles, we shall almost surely collapse. And if we collapse, we cannot help anyone.

So in my opinion what singleness of purpose means to me doesn't really matter, it's that as a member of AA that I learn the tradition and follow that tradition which is important.


Excerpt from the Grapevine Vol. 50, No.2 / April-May 2004
Singleness of Purpose:

On the face of  it,  the  idea  is  simplicity  itself.
Traditions  Three  and  Five  state  it  clearly:  “The  only
requirement  for  membership  is  a  desire  to  stop  drink-
ing.”  “Each  group  has  but  one  primary  purpose  –  to
carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.” A.A.
is for alcoholics and people who think they might have a
drinking  problem,  and  as  a  Fellowship  we  do  one  thing
only  –  share  our  program  of  recovery.

2. How many Home Groups do you have, and why?
   I have one home group although I don’t really think of it as such.
 My group has daily meetings that I regularly attend and where I hold the service positions, treasurer and chairperson. This group has core members who use the Big Book and 12 and 12 regularly in meetings which is primarily why I like it.  My personal opinion is that there is perhaps too much emphasis on ideas like having a home group without really outlining what a good home group is. New commers may be better served by being urged to find groups where real alcoholics have recovered from alcoholism through practice of the 12 steps. A group with real alcoholic members who have recovered through practicing the 12 steps best carries the message of Alcoholics Anonymous. Over the years I have come to know this message is quite simple; recovery from alcoholism through a spiritual awakening brought about by doing the 12 steps and continued practice of them in ones everyday life.

3. Do you serve in general service? And if so what are you currently serving as?

 I do not currently have a general service position but have been a GSR in the past.

4. Do you feel the Lords Prayer is appropriate in AA meetings.

        Yes, it is a prayer which at first I had a difficulty with but in time grew to embrace. There are many prayers from religion which I can adopt to enhance my relationship with God as I understand him. I am not a Christian or for that matter a religious man but appreciate the content of the Lords Prayer. One great prayer which has a religious origin is the 11th step prayer or more widely known as the Prayer of Saint Francis. It is by far my favorite prayer as it, to me, sums up how I ought to be in Gods world practicing the program of AA. The 3rd step prayer also sounds very religious but is a good prayer which outlines the intent of the 3rd step. With good guidance through quality sponsorship new alcohlics are taught the meaning of these prayers and the reason they are used. In this way they can get past any prejudices they may have due to the fact some of them have religious origins

5. What is your sobriety date?

     March 13th 1993

6. Why do you still go to meetings?

   To carry the message to the alcoholic still suffering and in doing so continue to practice the 12th step and 3rd step. In doing the 12th step I continue to turn my will and my life over to the care of God through the action of helping alcoholics still suffering.
      I also enjoy the friends and people I've met over the years; the social aspect of the fellowship. It's a joy now to be a part of the fellowship as I can be of service and watch others recover and give back what I have been so freely given.

1 comment: