Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Spiritual Principles

Tolerance, patience, love of one another, kindness, honesty, consideration. These are all spiritual principles that are important for me to put into my life. Why? Because I want continued recovery from alcoholism and this is what AA winds up being about. I need to take ACTION on these principles; actually make an effort to BE tolerant, loving, kind and thoughtful.
When I do this I am doing Gods will, not mine. My will used to be me going through life doing what I wanted and wronging others sometimes to get what I thought I needed.
It is through trying to continue to BE the kind of person that has turned his will and his life over the care of God that I continue to get Gods protection from the insanity of the first drink and a contented life of peace and serenity.
I could not abstain from alcohol and drugs myself for very long. Of course I had to abstain through using self will in the beginning but that would only last for so long. I ultimately needed Gods help to do it permanently and have recovery.
That's what the steps are for, to give me a  spiritual awakening and give me a connection with God strong enough to access Gods power to abstain 100 percent of the time. I could not do that on my own using self discipline. I found out that AA is not about self discipline. It's about relying on a Higher Power, because after all I am powerless over alcohol. Otherwise I wouldn't need AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment