Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Thankfully AA is not a religion but a simple practical spiritual program of action.

Thankfully AA is not a religion nor is affiliated with any religion. I would not have accepted that when I first came around because I was a staunch atheist. AA is very open when it comes to spirituality. One can choose their own understanding of God. What a wonderful thing. In fact there is no requirement to have any concept of God at all to do the first three steps. Only a willingness to seek. How cool is that! I was able to do the first three steps by just having a willingness to believe that there might be a Higher Power that could help me.. I then did steps 4,5,6 and 7 and then around step 7 I started feeling something helping me stay sober. I came to know that as God or a Higher Force that I accessed by doing the steps. I had 6 months sober; something I had not done in a long time. AA works if you work it.
 
That something I felt helping me after doing my 7th step is what I call God now. I still don't believe in Christ or Buddha or Alah or the God of Abraham, but I believe without a doubt that there is a Higher Force that helps me stay sober if I stay spirituality fit by doing the steps.. In fact I write this because I need to do the 12th step as much as I can.. carry the message. 
 
The message of AA:
 
Recovery from alcoholism and thus abstinence from alcohol through achieving a spiritual awakening by doing the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment